And indeed, We created man from dried [sounding] clay of altered mud. And the jinn, We created aforetime from the smokeless flame of fire. [15:26-27]
Say [O' Muhammad]: It has been revealed to me that a group [from three to ten in number] of jinn listened [to this Qur'an]. [72:1]
They followed what the Shayateen (devils) gave out (falsely of the magic) in the lifetime of Sulaiman (Solomon). Sulaiman did not disbelieve, but the Shayateen (devils) disbelieved, teaching men magic and such things that came down at Babylon to the two angels, Haaroot and Maaroot, but neither of these two (angels) taught anyone (such things) till they had said, “We are for trial, so disbelieve not (by learning this magic from us).” And from these (angels) people learn that by which they cause separation between man and his wife, but they could not thus harm anyone except by Allah’s Leave. And they learn that which harms them and profits them not. And indeed they knew that the buyers of it (magic) would have no share in the Hereafter. And how bad indeed was that for which they sold their ownselves, if they but knew. [2:102]
And verily, there were men among mankind who took shelter with the males among jinn, but they [jinn] increased them [mankind] in sin and transgression. [72:6]
As-salaamu ‘alaikum, waRahmatullahi waBarakatuhu
I had posted a version of this text on the Ruqyah Shariah Yahoo Group/forum.
I have witnessed exorcisms conducted both in Bangladesh and in the UK. I have witnessed individuals (young and old), couples and entire families being afflicted, tormented and terrorised by devilish jinns and humans. However, with Allah’s (swt) guidance, I read Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips translation of “Ibn Taymeeyah’s Essay on the Jinn” and “Fundamentals of Tawheed” in the early 1990′s (when there was hardly any authentic material on the subject available in English) where I learned early on to steer away from any kind of shirk/black magic/fortune-telling. There are now more books available in English on the subject and by authentic scholars. I have subsequently found two excellent books by Waleed Abdussalam Bali (see details below) with extremely clear descriptions and practical advice on seeking Allah’s protection against shayateen.
It is a sad fact, but many Muslims are not practising, and I see this in my own family, friends and community. And one of the ways such a person seeks help when afflicted by jinns/black magic is they tend to look for “short-cut” methods and seek help without checking whether someone is genuine raqi (healer) or following correct/authentic methods of exorcism/ruqya according to the Qur’an and Sunnah.
Don’t get me wrong – most people are decent and as are many of the maulvis who may be inadvertently practising unauthentic methods. I have noticed whilst there are people who knowingly seek out magicians/fortune-tellers for help and knowingly practice haram methods, some of them are confused or naiive and don’t even know they are committing sin/shirk.
A wide practise is the wearing of amulets/taaweez, and black strings (with knots), etc. Also includes wall hangings, e.g. the placing of bits of paper with Arabic writing and numbers above doors and windows. Some justify their methods by claiming to be befriended by “jinn-o-mumin”, or good/Muslim jinns. They make it out as it is ok if it is a good/Muslim jinn.
I have also had ‘respectable’ teachers at local masjid where I was, as the majority of kids my age while I was growing up in the 1980′s, who were taught the parrot-fashion of learning to read the Qur’an, and we had many maulvis and teachers who were genuinely good, kind and caring people and respected in the community. But that doesn’t make it ok for them to practise incorrect methods of exorcism or use jinn to ‘cure’ people.
I don’t want to go into individual stories and incidents here, but would recommend that you check out the cases and examples given in the sources provided below for more detailed information. The resources below are not for the faint-hearted. If you are easily frightened by this stuff, I would strongly recommend you focus on your ibaadah (worship) and strengthening your imaan.
The best and only protection is from Allah. Brothers and sisters, pray your five obligatory salaat on time, learn and recite your daily du’as/adhkar, e.g. what to say when waking up, before sleeping, entering and exiting toilet, house, eating/drinking, travelling, observe hijab, guard your tongue etc. Recite and/or listen to the Noble Qu’ran daily (morning and evening at least) at home, when travelling, at work etc. For example, tapes/CDs/MP3 can be played in car/home/mp3 player. It’s amazing how something that is as trivial as saying Bismillah before eating can have a profound impact on the Unseen. SubHanallah! Maintain your imaan and protect your heart, body and soul by asking Allah the One for help.
May Allah (swt) guide us all, and fill our hearts with the light of imaan and give us the correct understanding of Islam. Ameen.
Books in English:
- Preventative measures against Shaytaan – Mustafa ibn Al-Adawi [Highly recommended]
- How to Protect yourself from Jinn & Shaytaan, Waheed Abdussalam Baly (translated by Abdallah Elaceri, 2005) Published by Al-Firdous Ltd. [Highly recommended] “This book first confirms the existence of Jinn, aspects of their existence, and the effects of their activities, their lifestyle, for both good and evil, benefit and harm. Secondly, it explains how to seek refuge with Allah in order to treat possession by Jinn and Shaytaan, it offers an explanation of the malady and how to cure it. A great distinctive work and one for every believer to own.”
- Sword Against Black Magic & Evil Magicians, Wahid Abdussalam Bali (translated by Chafik Abdelghani, 2004) Published by Al-Firdous Ltd. [Highly recommended]
- The Jinn and Human Sickness, Dr. Abul-Mundhir Khaleel ibn Ibraaheem Ameen, (translated by Nasiruddin al-Khattab, 2005 Darussalam)
- Ibn Taymeeyah’s Essay on the Jinn (Demons), Abridged, Annotated and Translated by Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips ( 1998 – although 2nd edition is available) Published by International Islamic Publishing House (IIPH)
- The World of The Jinn & Devils, ‘Umar S. al-Ashqar (translated by Nasiruddin al-Khattab, edition 2, 2005) Published by International Islamic Publishing House (IIPH), a different (older) translation is available for download here.
- The Exorcist Tradition in Islam, Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips (Al-Hidaayah Publishing)
- The Fundamentals of Tawheed (Islamic Monotheism), Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips
- Fortress of the Muslim (Invocations from the Qur’an & Sunnah), Darussalam [Highly recommended]
- Invocations from the Qur’an and Sunnah (followed by Ar-Ruqiya), Dar Al-Salam
- Manzil – from fisabilillah.org (PDF link courtesy of RuqyaShariyah) – you can buy a pocket sized version from most Islamic bookshops for about £1 or £2.
- Diseases of the Hearts and their Cures by Sheikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah
Should be available from all good Islamic bookshops, e.g. Zam Zam, IDCI, Al Hidayaah and others (check online too).
- Video: Reality of Magic and Magicians: Dr. Abdul Majid Ali (as seen on Islam Channel)
- Video: Jinns, Black magic and Islamic healing(courtesy of brother Abdul Jabbar)
- Video:The World of Jinn – Riad Ouarzazi
- Video: The World of the Unseen: Part 1 & Part 2 (Abou Muhammad) [Highly recommended]
- Ar-Ruqya Ash-Shariyah forum [Highly recommended]
- Rawatan Sihir – Remedies to witchcraft and evil spells (forum)
- Qur’anic Healing (Spiritual healing of body and mind through Qur’an) and the related MySpace page
- List of Muslim exorcists and spiritual healers (from Qur’anic Healing)
- Raqis or Exorcists all over the world (make sure you read the section before contacting an Exorcist)
- Ar-Ruqyah ar-Shareeyah audio (mp3) files for download
- Jinn & Black magic – help available from Ruqyah Shariah Network
- Event: Black Magic – The signs, The Protection and The Weapon (19th July, London)
- Depression, Mental Illness & Jinn Possession – An Islamic View – watch seminar on the subject, courtesy of Ustadh Abu Eesa (PG)
From my blog: